Saturday, March 12, 2005

We All Change

In the last few months, I've gained some weight. In the last few years, I've lost some hair.

We all change.

Even cartoons aren't safe from the passing years. Look at Bob Clampett's Bugs Bunny and Chuck Jones's Bugs Bunny. Look at Steamboat Willie Mickey and Fantasia Mickey. Look at early Snoopy and later Snoopy.

Look at Spot.



I knew this would happen. But I didn't think it would happen so quickly. In less than a year's time, Spot began to favor oval eyes on the verge of tipping over, and a fatter mouth. Clearly the usual metamorphosis of changing from egg to tadpole to frog wasn't enough.

I mention this because there will be a Spot book in the next year, and I'm feeling a little embarrassed by the alteration in Spot's appearance.

Perhaps I should think of it as puberty. When a pudgy boy squeezes through puberty it's no surprise when a tall and thin boy stumbles out. It's startling, but not surprising.

If Spot starts shaving, that will be surprising.