Tuesday, March 08, 2005

If It Sounds Like A Burp

I got an email the other day from a reader who suggested that frogs don't burp. I don't know for a fact that they do, and I don't know for a fact that they don't. But I do know for a fact that Spot does. In an early Spot strip from last year, Spot reveals that the chorus of frog song Karl hears at the pond is actually a chorus of burping.



(my apologies for the especially grusome pose Spot assumes in the third panel -- I was still working out my burp visual shorthand.)

In the spirit of research beyond the strip, I Googled frogs and burping and came up with this, this, and this.

From what I know, burping is the result of gas; either produced from what you eat, or by the air you swallow. If you chew fast with your mouth open, it could be both.

Spot's talents don't end with burping, by the way, though they occasionally overlap: