Sunday, February 06, 2005

Rain Forest Marbles


When I saw these, I flashed back to elementary school, when playing marbles in the playground was big business, and the glass balls were as exotic and beautiful as Poison Dart Frogs.

I don't know much about Poison Dart Frogs, beyond their explicable name. But I'm fairly certain they were never used as marbles.

Sitting here, I can almost feel the jumbled weight of marbles in my pocket, brushed clean of sand or mud. I bought Mary a bag of marbles one Christmas, thinking we'd dig a hole in the snow and relive old memories, until I learned she'd never played marbles. This shouldn't have stopped me from filling a hole with marbles, but the bag is still clean and intact and hanging from a doorknob.

That's probably the best way to display certain memories.