Friday, January 07, 2005

Losing My Mind



We were watching an episode of Coach, and Mary asked me the name of the actor who plays the titular character. And I didn't know. I knew that I knew, but I didn't. If you know what I mean.

When I was a kid I studied the TV Guide. I read it cover-to-cover, with the same devotion I gave to my cereal boxes and toothpaste tubes. (sadly, text books aren't printed on cereal boxes, so my memory suffered in school.)

I knew every actor's name.

And now I don't. Part of getting older (he writes at the grand age of 44) is accepting this new shade of uncertainty in your day, where whatshisname becomes a satisfactory answer to the question, "Who played the coach on Coach?"

I mention this because I was browsing through my files and came across this picture of Spot and I couldn't remember why he looked the way he did. Was it something he ate? Perhaps the result of a bee sting?

After a long moment I remembered.

I think that's why patience is a refinement of age. When your day is marked by long moments, you need something to keep you company while you wait for them to pass.

And by the way, it hit me eventually: Craig T. Nelson. (and I'll note in passing that the actor shares the same middle initial as Spot T. Frog.)