Saturday, September 04, 2004

My Cartooning Bible




And if your fascination is with the single-panel cartoon, which is what I've drawn for most of my career, then you'll need to clear a space on your shelf for Mort Gerberg's Cartooning: The Art and the Business.

Better yet, it deserves a shelf of its own.

It was 1983 or so. I was working part-time at a bookstore, while working full-time at a cabinet factory. Dusting the shelves, stocking stray books. And one day I found Gerberg's book wedged into the crafts section.

It was unlike any other how-to book on cartooning. It was funny, it was serious, it was frank. And it was written for an adult.

I was 23.

Close enough.

It's no longer in print, but it's out there, and if you're a beginning cartoonist, it's waiting for you. The best cartooning book I've ever read.