Sunday, June 13, 2004

The Most Animated Thing In My Office



I don't know the details of Spider-Man as a true fan should. My appreciation of the character is more of the store front variety -- I'm looking through a plate glass window, not close enough to touch, but I see the essentials: he can climb, he can swing, he can fire off punchlines.

The great radio show This American Life did a program on super heroes, and why certain characters were celebrated while others forgotten. The conclusion: if a character's super power was an exaggeration of a power most of us share -- the ability to run, climb, swing -- it was easy to believe that super powers were just within our reach. I certainly believed it. For many years I rarely climbed a tree without humming the Spider-Man theme song.

I have an idea that Spot feels the same way.