Friday, May 28, 2004

Another drawback to working at home

I hear the door pounding and find a policeman. He was responding to a domestic distress call. I was working upstairs, uploading strips for the week of June 14. He asked why it took me so long to answer the door, and if I was alone. I don't know what I looked like, or what I sounded like, but I felt absolutely guilty, as if I'd just finished tamping the soil on a grave in the basement.

When he asked why I took so long to answer the door, I told him I was working upstairs. "You work at home?" he asked, with the usual skepticism of the employed for the self-employed. If I'd told him I was a comic strip artist, I'd probably be writing this from a jail cell.

The highlight: he asked if I lived alone. I told him I lived with my fiance. "Is she home?" he asked. "Umm, no. She's, uh, running errands. And then she's going to the movies..." Which she was, but I'm glad I stopped talking before I got to the part about her being out of the country for the next several months, and if you'll excuse me, I have to run to lawyer to pick up the new will.

All in all, more intrigue than usual when I upload a week of dailies.